Friday, November 14, 2008

Starting a Community Garden

The UIC Community Garden and the Hull House Center for Urban Agriculture had their first public participation meeting last week. I am a little biased since I was on the team that organized the event, but if I do say so myself it was pretty awesome!

There were over 35 participants who including UIC students, faculty, staff, Hull House consultants, and community garden experts from around the Chicago area. I was so impressed with the passion and level of interest and collective knowledge in the room - it was truly powerful. One of the highlights of the evening was a time lapse video created by Rogan Birnie, a Hull-House consultant, working on the garden project. Each season Rogan will release a new time lapse series - I can't wait for the next one! That is all for now. I will be posting pictures of the event, how to stay informed about the event, and a report on the event towards the first of Dec. - right now I have to get through finals :)

Thanks again to everyone who participated in the community garden conversations and I can't wait for the next installment!

Check out Rogan Birnie's time lapse video here: http://endabamedia.com/Farm6WeeksHDFastWebCrop.mov

9 comments:

Cindy Klein-Banai said...

See an article in the Chicago Journal about the garden and UIC's sustainability efforts.
http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=60&ArticleID=6450&TM=37057.13

Log Homes said...

Gardening is so relaxing and a wonderful way to spend time outdoors. It is one of my favorite hobbies that I love to share with others online! Thanks for taking the time to write this post, I always learn so much about gardening from many different sources online! http://www.gardenmanuals.com/

Log Homes said...

Great blog post! I love learning about this online as gardening/landscaping are not only hobbies of mine but I actually do a little bit of work like that during the summer months as a second job. I appreciate your content in your blog and wish that you would keep up the good work :)

Jiel said...

Community Garden offers healthy environment and help communities to bond together. Thanks for letting me know this information about UIC Community Garden. I will also visit the article on chicago journal.

LoanMan said...

Good post, I just recently started gardening and intend to grow at least some of my own vegetables in the yeas to come. I have a lot to learn!

Hal Merrill said...

It's great to see community garden projects like this. We have some great ones in Seattle, also. I'm doing research to find out just how much energy can be saved by having everyone start composting their organic waste. I put together an information website about compost tumblers
just to give an overview.

Roll with it said...

I live on Amelia Island Florida.
It’s a very small place by that I mean small town. My cousin and I wanted to start
Something like that here but ran into so many road Blocks we just couldn’t do it.
That was about 5 years ago and I hope things have changed a little now.
The way things are getting with the economy It would be great to have something like that
For the community now. I remember my Mom telling me during the world war 2 they had
Victory gardens. I think that would be a good concept for us now.

Utopia said...

A community garden is a great way to improve your quality of life as it not only reduces your stress level but also allows you to meet and interact with members of your community.

James Leone Puno said...

This is a great way of helping our others through community gardens. I'm very happy about your project. Keep this up :)