Friday, April 24, 2009

Spring Cleaning: How to Get Rid of Your Hazardous Household Waste

We're posting (and slightly editing) this message that has been circulating through some UIC email lists:City of Chicago Hazardous Waste Drop-offDo you have old or unused prescription and non-prescription medications, computers, cell phones, fax machines, scanners, keyboards, hazardous household chemicals and lead or oil-based paints, old gas cans and/or gas powered lawn mowers?  Drop them off at:Saturday, May 9, 9:00 a.m.  3:00 p.m.DeVry University, 3401 North Rockwell Ave.While at the event, you can pick up the following items to help makerecycling easier at home: 
  • A compost bin. $35 payable by check or money order only. Available to Chicago residents only, while supplies last.
  • A rain barrel. $45 payable by check or money order only.
  • Available to Chicago residents only, while supplies last.
  • A FREE compact fluorescent light bulb while supplies last.
  • A $100 rebate towards a push or electric mower when you drop off your gas powered mower.
  • A FREE environmentally-friendly gas can when you trade in your old one.
For more information, view the full flier.Suburbs:  West Cook County Solid Waste AgencyHave you ever wondered where you could recycle certain materials?  From #1 plastics to yard waste and everything in between, this website will tell you where in Cook County you can recycle all types of household items. 2009 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Schedule  In addition, the following long-term facilities are available for disposal of household waste.  Please phone ahead to determine availability and open hours. Naperville: 
1971 Brookdale Road
Fire Station No. 4
Phone 630/420-4190

3333 Kishwaukee
Rock River Reclamation District
Phone 815/967-6737

City of Chicago:
1150 N. North Branch on Goose Island
Visit the City's web site at
Phone:  311 or for general info:  312-744-7672

Lake County:
The Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO) currently operates a long-term household chemical waste collection program. Information and a collection schedule can be found on the SWALCO Website, or by calling (847)336-9340.

HHW Collection schedule can also be found on the Agency's web
For questions concerning the IEPA's one day or long-term collections, please call the Waste Reduction Unit of the IEPA at (217) 785-8604.

Old TVs

Trying to dispose of an old TV? Please don't put it in a trash can or leave it in your alley as the TV will end up in a landfill. Check out this website to see where to recycle your old set.

1 comment:

Office of Sustainability said...

You bring your household electronics (not UIC) items to the Electron Recycling Event at Parking Lot 6: 1135 S. Halsted on Sept. 18-19 from 9 am to 2 pm. Visit for more info.