a voluntary, self‐reporting framework for recognizing and gauging relative progress toward sustainability for colleges and universities. It is designed to:Visit the AASHE website for more detail about STARS and the overall pilot project results (PDF, 384 pages!).
- Provide a framework for understanding sustainability in all sectors of higher education.
- Enable meaningful comparisons over time and across institutions using a common set of measurements developed with broad participation from the campus sustainability community.
- Create incentives for continual improvement toward sustainability.
- Facilitate information sharing about higher education sustainability practices and performance.
- Build a stronger, more diverse campus sustainability community.