Friday, August 6, 2010

Recommended Reading: Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman

While commuting to campus this summer, I read the second release of Thomas Friedman's "Hot, Flat and Crowded: why we need a green revolution and how it can renew America". The book discusses the implications of Hot=Climate Change and the sustainability of life on a planet that is Flat due to the internet and television, and Crowded=a population that is pushing us to the limits of our natural resources.

Friedman makes an excellent argument for why the United States should take the lead in developing Energy Technology (ET). He argues that ET would do for the economy what IT did in the 1990s. His arguments are first and foremost economic, but also environmental and social. He clearly explains the issues, presents the barriers, and proposes solutions.

Release 2 incorporates the mortgage crisis relates to the environment. I wonder if Release 3 will add the BP oil spill!

I highly recommend this book as a good overview and analysis of our current situation and the prospects for the future. After you read the book, let me know if you think Thomas Friedman would be a good speaker for UIC's Earth Month.

No comments: