Please submit your application materials immediately for a summer internship at Uncommon Ground Organic Rooftop Garden.
Come intern at the nation’s first certified organic rooftop farm!Interns assist the Farm Director and the Uncommon Ground Rooftop Farm in all aspects of community food system development, urban agriculture, and educational program development through innovative, sustainable approaches. Interns work a minimum of 2-3 days per week, 3-5 hours of work per day. It is serious educational and vocational experience and requires at least a 12-week commitment, preferably a commitment of May 15th – September 15th. The beginning and end of the internship will be part time, with more work in the middle of the summer. This is an unpaid internship, but will educate you with a fully hands-on approach in the basics of urban rooftop food production and the benefits of urban agriculture. Urban Agriculture is a field that is expanding fast, especially in the city of Chicago. Get first hand knowledge of how to farm healthy, sustainable produce 30 feet in the air! Farming is hard work, especially in the city. All interns must have a positive attitude, an ability to receive constructive criticism, and a strong work ethic. Interns will receive supervision, intensive hands-on training, and skill sets acquisition with the opportunity to conduct and implement independent projects. A generous food stipend in restaurant credit will be included with internship.
1. Maintaining urban agriculture sites including: • Plant propagation of outdoor starts and seedlings• Maintaining indoor sprout and microgreens production• Direct seeding and transplanting of seedlings outside• Watering plants and maintaining systems on a daily basis • Harvesting and post-harvest handling produce• Implementing Integrated Pest Management (IPM) practices• Pruning and weeding as needed• Maintaining offsite gardens, including community garden plot and Wrigleyville’s Sidewalk Farm• Handling, moving, and sifting compost and other organic materials, with the possibility of building new compost bins• Maintaining living biological worm systems and the possibility of building new vermicompost bins • Offering assistance to beekeeper and basic beekeeping duties• Erecting hoop greenhouses and constructing cold frames
2. Detailed record keeping and evaluation, reporting to the Farm Director
3. Assist in teaching and working with community on site
4. Assist in tours of the roof top farm
5. Assist in volunteer workdays
6. Assist in helping the Farm Director with general upkeep of farm and restaurant grounds as needed
All of the following requirements must be met by an intern to successfully perform this position:• Ability to handle and feel objects and tools• Ability to reach with hands and arms• Ability to lift heavy objects 75 lbs.+ from different locations• Ability to use wheelbarrow, wagons, etc.• Ability to climb stairs
The following are other skills needed for a positive internship:• Available to work within the core hours of 6:00am – 1:00pm 2-3 days per week and every 1st Friday from 5:00pm – sundown, May 15th – September 15th or a 12-week period• Ability to work and travel between Devon’s Rooftop Farm and Wrigleyville’s Sidewalk Farm• An emphasis on hands-on physical labor and practice is very important• Ability to work as a member of team with flexibility in work assignments as needed• Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences, staff, chefs and management• Some knowledge in plant or environmental science, or farm experience a plus• Comfortable spending 6 hours at a time outdoors, in all weather conditions• No fear of worms, bees, or any other insects• Not afraid to get dirty• Not afraid of heights• Valid drivers license
Please send the following information: • A cover letter detailing interest and experience in sustainable food system work and what you would like to accomplish as an intern at Uncommon Ground Organic Rooftop Farm. Please include what relevant skill sets you have that would contribute to community food systems building.• Your current resume • A list of two references via e-mail (preferred) to: Jen Rosenthal – email@example.com - Please indicate ‘2013 Summer Internship’ in subject linevia US mail: Uncommon Ground c/o Jen Rosenthal | 1401 W Devon Ave| Chicago, IL 60660
More information on this internship can be found here.